Sunday, August 30, 2009

We survived the first week!

I am probably one of the last people to blog about the first day of school, but it creeped up on me way to fast! We took a quick vacation, came home had a few days to get school supplies, new clothes, needed immunizations which BTW is a completely other story, that needs a blog post all of it's own. And boom, just like that it was the start of a new year! This last week has been a complete whirlwind! We have gone from the kids on the same track, in the same school, and schedule to... Two completely different schools, one on tracks, and one in 9 month, and 4 separate pick up times! If only I got paid the hourly rate of a Vegas taxi driver!!!

I am sad to report that I was not able to prevent the inevitable...and my baby girl officially started her first day of middle school! I think it was harder for me than the first day of kindergarten! And I swear as she was getting ready that morning, she looked so much older. I can no longer refer to her as my little girl, she is growing into a beautiful young woman both inside and out. And beautiful she was,as she gently kissed, and reassured her mom that it would be o.k., as she excitedly rushed out the door! I think I hid the tears quite well, but that day seemed to drag on as I counted down the minutes before I could pick her up and hear all about her first day! She really didn't care what she wore on the first day as long as it included wearing the jewelry grandma, and grandpa brought her back from Hawaii!



And my boy... well it really is no secret that school is his very least favorite place to be! School lunch is his favorite part of the day! He never says much about his teachers, and sometimes has a hard time expressing the way he feels even when he does. So when I asked him if he liked his teacher, he said "Ya, she doesn't talk to me in that mean voice, like my old teacher"! Which by the way was news to me! So as long as she doesn't use that mean voice, and he always has lunch money, I think he is a happy camper! Teigen is not much of a reader, but they had to have a chapter book for school to read. And a friend of mine who has all boys told me about a great series called, "The diary of a wimpy kid". And after we started reading it the other night, Teigen said, "Mom I don't usually like books, but this one makes me just want to keep on reading and reading, it is so good"! And he insisted he have a picture of the first day with that book! I would highly recommend it for boys this age, especially if they have a hard time making it through chapter books.


After I got them both safely off, and nursed my self induced migraine with a little caffeine, on crushed ice from my favorite nearby convenience store. I joined the other grieving mothers at their annual first day of school breakfast. Nothing quite like great, supportive girl friends, and lot's of yummy, fattening breakfast food to lift a girls spirits right??? It is supposed to be a celebration of the first day of school, but I couldn't help but notice most of these mommy's were feeling the same way I was. But like I said, nothing that a whole lot of comfort food,and laughter couldn't solve!

1 comments:

Joni said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who gets sad when school starts again, seems like all the moms I know have been looking forward to it all summer. My daughter loves school and Hunter is more like your boy, he'd rather be home! It makes me sad that our kids are getting so big so fast, but how fun for you and the other moms to get together, what a great idea!