Sunday, August 31, 2008

Why blog?

I have been blogging for about two years now. I think the first thing that really intrigued me in the blogging world was that it is kind of a little like "reality" television, if you will. It was fun to get a glimpse into the lives of "real" people. It is fascinating to me to see how other people live, raise their families, and just to know that basically we are all human! It has also been fun as I have been blog surfing or "stalking" as some may call it, to fall upon someone I know, or have known at some point in my life. I have had many great people in my life at some point or another, and even though I have not been able to keep in touch with them all, it is always fun to stumble upon somebody that I once held dear.

I have also realized just how much of a testimony builder, the world of blogs can be. There are soooo many great people out there, that have been strong enough to share their personal trials and it is heartwarming to see the strength in numbers as we all help each other through! I know every one has their own "blogging" style. To some it is more of a personal diary, to some it is a good "release" of their emotions for the day, some do it to keep family updated, some inspire, some are comical, some like to brag, and the list goes on and on.

I personally don't criticize the many blogs I stumble upon, because I believe a blog is "your" space for whatever you wish to convey. And if you choose to be offended don't go back! Like anything, if you put it on the Internet for any one's eyes to see, you will always run the chance of criticism. Although that is the nice thing with a blog, you do have a lot of control with settings and comments and I have noticed many more people are going private. I personally don't like that for my own reasons, because that's the fun of blogs to me, to be able to go from one to another, and then suddenly end up on someone you know! But some people are just not comfortable with just "anyone" viewing, and I totally understand that! Also I'm sure people have their own reasons, and again it is "their" space so they are entitled to do whatever they want right? And if I ever felt that my family was in danger for any reason because of my blog, that would probably be the end of it.

I have talked to many people who say they feel "bad", or sometimes "not good enough" after reading about other people's accomplishments or about other people's lives. And I at times have felt that myself, I'm sure we all have. But I do know we are ALL human and even though we all have our own blogging styles. That is the fun of it all for me to be able to see and hear different views from different people.

As for myself, I started blogging after being inspired. I did blog "stalk" for a while until I decided this would be the perfect way to keep my friends and family updated on us. After all, this is the first time I have ever lived this far away from my family,and as we were all trying to come to grips with it. I decided it would be a GREAT way to keep them updated, and would save me a TON on film, because they were always requesting pictures. And what a great way to keep them all informed! And that is still one of my biggest motivators to keep going. I still beg and plead my family members who don't have one and live far away to start one! Although nothing beats being together! It truly is the second best way to help us all feel a little more involved in each others lives! I have questioned before, if anyone even reads this or if it is a big waste of my time.I know much of what I have to say may seem boring to others. But I decided if anything else it is a great journal of my life, and even though I do keep up on my scrapbooks, I really don't have a personal journal so this is it! I also tend to be a "picture" blogger. If I don't have pictures, I don't really like to blog! Maybe that's the scrapbooker in me! But at least I know I will always have my dad! He is my #1 fan of my blog! He calls me sometimes just to talk about "the blog". Thanks Dad!

And I will admit I am more of a "private" personality when it comes to my deep emotions.I am somewhat "guarded" with many details in life. I do have strong opinions on many things, but don't usually feel the need to debate or argue these things, at least not here! Maybe that's why I despise politics! Although I DO have my own personal opinions, and I know that politics are very important, and must happen. Anything that causes that much contention and belittling of others turns me off instantly! That's probably why I like to avoid the whole "religion" topic also! Although I am a very "religious" person. I think many wrong things are done and said "in the name of religion". And so therefore I usually try to avoid these topics all together! Although I am inspired on a daily basis from the kind acts of others I read on blogs!

But hey that's just Annilee talking! I have always been a "glass half full" personality. I do better if I focus on the "good" things that happen every day. That's my way of making it through! So even though I don't usually choose to blog about the downers in my life, (and believe me they happen every day)!!! My blogs would probably be much longer if I did! Just ask my mom, she is usually the one who gets the brunt of my complaints, and she will tell you that us Griffin's (as she so lovingly refers to us as ) do seem to get ourselves in some very unusual predicaments! Which I will not confirm or deny! Just ask me about my keys!!! And some may say I'm not "keepin it real". In Sarah's terms I am probably more of a Pollyanna, than a Debbie Downer. And I'm not saying either way is better. I guess it's all about Perspective right??? But don't think I won't vent every now and then!!!

And even though I know I am not always grammatically correct on some things. Some times purposely sometimes not! I would hope all the "blog snobs" can still look past that. Even though my english is not perfect. I will admit that I have came across a blog or two, where I turned into a "blog snob" and had to laugh, and wonder if that's what people think when they read my blog!

So there you have it, I am all about "keepin it real" but I do sometimes hold back the more personal details of my day! I have a blog list I read pretty much every day, and I like each one for different reason's! But mostly because they are who they are! I think it's a good thing we are all different! I don't think the blog world would exist if we weren't! I have made some great friends through blogging, and it is because of others I try to become better myself..... Everyday!

4 comments:

chris jenkins said...

i really appreciate reading your thoughts and opinions on the whole "blog" thing. as i was reading, i was like yes, uh-uh, agree with you there.

and i am so totally guilty of a couple things you mentioned - although i am trying to be better - it's just hard, ya know?

i appreciate the realness. i dig that. and it is a huge part of why i am happy to be called your friend.

Shelly Traveller said...

Amen to that! I love knowing that I have friends in the blog world that I can learn from. I laugh, cry and smile daily thanks to wonderful blogs like yours.

Jessica said...

I enjoy your blog! I hope you keep at it so I can see your kids grow up!

Jeannie said...

Very well said. I too try to keep mine positive but every now and then I'll complain or rant about things. And I have to admit that sometimes I see other people's blog lists and I get bummed because I don't think I even have that many friends much less friends with blogs! :) I wish I didn't have to keep mine private, but my husband is a worrier and so I had to. Maybe I'll bring it up again and see if he's willing to go public.