Monday, July 06, 2009

4th of July

Our celebrations this year were a little different than usual. We were missing Mr. Griffin, and the kids were still recovering from the dreaded bacterial infection they got while at Lake Mead. It was a good thing we had such a WONDERFUL time while there, because we have spent the whole last week recovering! After the horrible rash all 15 kids that were there came down with, added with the nasty outer ear infection that both my kids got we have paid for it this whole week. And to top it off, Tylie's ear ended up rupturing! Poor Girl she was in so much pain. Let's just say it has been a rough week!

And although we weren't fortunate to spend this holiday traditionally with our family or as a family together. I am so lucky to have GREAT friends who are always watching out for me! Miss Sarah and Amy Barlow invited us to their annual family olympics. Although I hesitated because technically we are not "family". They convinced us that we were family for the day! As always SB (that's her new name) you'll have to ask her why it's very fitting! But she way overdid herself, and It was a pleasure to be a part of the festivities for the day! They have family olympics, wonderful food, complete with opening and closing ceremonies and winning medals at the end!

And since we had been homebound for a week, it was nice to get out of the house and socialize with wonderful people! Unfortunately Tylie ended up feeling to sick to enjoy the fun, and I eventually had to take her home. But Teigen was having so much fun he did not want to leave. So my cute friends kept him, and made him feel like part of the family! He had such a blast and was so proud of the medals he earned!

Tylie was so proud of the cup holder she was able to make before she quickly went downhill! I knew she was sick when she told me she didn't want to go to the fireworks with our friends at Red Rock that night! She had been looking so forward to seeing her friend Mia, and going to the fireworks. After I got her a slurpee and she rested most of the day, we just ended up walking down to Sonata Park, and watched many of the valley fireworks from there. It was very low key, and actually ended up being quite nice! But it wasn't the same without our daddy there!

Here is Teigen in the duck race...

They had to sit in these tubes and go to the end of the pool and collect as many rubber ducks as they could, it was hilarious to watch! Especially when the older boys tried it! They weren't above dunking each other to win!



Poor Ty had to watch from the sidelines, and it was sooooo freaking hot!

Here is just a few pics of the Opening Ceremonies, with their family flags and all... Tylie started making ours but didn't have time to finish it! I love this idea and may just have to start it with our own family! So I will save ours for a later date. Ty is the artist of our family, so she drew a "Griffin" bird in a very cool shield with our name below it! I was SO impressed, so maybe we will unveil it next year! I am glad to have an artist in the family, because I can't even draw a stick figure! These pictures were taken by Teigen so they are a little off center, but you get the idea!


And here is the very cute... Lane Barlow Family!

And cute Beth representing the Garrard family...

And the Mohler family as team target! Love it!

This was such a cute idea, since this is an all day event followed by fireworks in the evening. The kids all made cup holders to keep their drinks straight! And with it being 108 outside there was many drinks to be had! And the kids loved making them.

And here is how Ty spent the rest of the afternoon! Why do kids always get sick on the holidays?

And here they are that evening at Sonata Park with "Fat Dog" aka, Kidder

So even though this holiday was not so traditional, we still had a great time. I know I have said it before, and I'm sure I will say it again. I seriously have the BEST friends ever! Thanks to Sarah, and Amy for twisting my arm to crash their party, and helping with Teigen! And Thanks to Erin and Beth for making us feel so welcome, and for the great conversations! I am so blessed to have people like this in my life! Happy Independance Day!

5 comments:

jessica said...

Glad you had such a fun weekend! I feel bad your kids have been so sick though! Never fails hu? I'm with you on the friend thing...I count my blessings every day on all of my great friends! Too bad you and I don't live closer, I think we'd have a blast together!

*Chelsey* said...

Do you call ALL of your friends SB? Lol. I am glad you guys had fun and that Tylie is finally feeling better! We had fun with Cole while he was here but we missed the rest of you.

annilee said...

Well Chels the name was even more fitting because she won the biggest loser by losing a whole bunch of weight after her baby, and it is her real initials! But yes I do use it quite frequently, because most of my friends are SB's! Hope to fit in one day!

Joni said...

I'm so sorry that your cute fam has been sick. Holidays are so hard when you can't be together as a family. I'm so glad that you have such good friends close-by to help make up for it. I hope everyone is feeling much better!

Ktbug said...

Hey you,
I got your package today. My goodness you did not have to get me SO MUCH! Your family always makes me feel so spoiled. I love the picture frame it will go in the nursery perfect. Thanks so much for everything. We are just counting down the days now!

Love,
Katie